The Gypsum Public Works Department performs snow removal via plowing and sanding.
School bus routes and access to emergency services are typically first priority. Snow removal crews normally begin clearing the roads around 4 a.m.
- Open the roads by plowing and sanding
- Return later to clean up, widen, and sand again if necessary
- Following a storm, crews will concentrate on snow removal of all streets.
Snowplow Know-How: Tips for coping with the winter snow removal season
- Use patience with the snow removal process and drive with caution around equipment.
- Wait to shovel driveways until after the snowplows have finished and do not put snow or any other debris in the roadway. (Colorado Revised Statute section 18-9-107).
- Snow removal crews begin work in the very early morning; usually at 4 a.m. and continue until all routes are complete. The crews are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Educate children about the dangers of playing near snow removal equipment and discourage the building of forts or caves in snow banks.
- Be aware that it is illegal to park on town roads or the right-of-way.
- The right-of-way is intended to be used for snow storage.
- Complaints, concerns, or suggestions may be directed to the Town of Gypsum Public Works Department at 970-524-5024.
Other Snow Removal Information
- Town of Gypsum uses snowplows and a sand /salt mixture for vehicle traction. Town of Gypsum does not use magnesium chloride on the roads in the winter.